Sunday, January 31, 2010

Castles in the sand.. at day at CWC

cwcstich

( a short Solo in the c-wood C: M.Lloyd )

Saturday was going to be a solo mission to Castlewood Canyon but at the last minute i wrangled up two amigos and we headed south. Castlewood is gem nestled between the hell that is Parker and Highlands Ranch and the beautiful Franktown. Besides rattle snakes and families from suburbia Castlewood hosts some pretty sick climbing if you know where to look. Justin Jaeger is the man down there and he seams to keep a large part of his brain devoted to knowing the beta and locations of all the bouldering there is to be had there.

First mission for me was to do some solo rock climbing,CWC is well suited to it because it is short, moderate, and has a walk of from the top. The first route i tried resulted in a minor epic. I tried to onsight solo a 5.11 ( unknown name and  grade) anyway at half height my hands went numb due to the cold and i had a little panic and decided that i was in a tiny bit more that i wanted to be. So i, with great difficulty, down climbed the route…. a bit sketchier than I'm used too. Next i climbed the route pictured above, it had a crack which to me is like having a rope. hand jam= on belay . Adam shot some photos and then in order to make the sequence shot above i soloed it again for good measure. I really love the place that adventure rock climbing ( my new phrase for the climbing that i enjoy ) puts me. Excited , committed and alert describe it best.

Sky worked on Marcello’s “The Mangler“ which i think weighs in at upwards of v10. I shot a very cool sequence of the first reachy move.

adams camera 552 adams camera 553 adams camera 554 adams camera 555

 

Adam was able to fire a cool looking moderate boulder problem on the other side of “the mangler”

adams camera 514

I notes from the world i saw a new movie last night called Crazy Heart. It was really well done, i have always enjoyed some good ole’ country music. If you do too check it out. Here is a trailer for it.

I got more to say but that's all for now…

No comments:

Post a Comment